Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 5 hours in a crock pot
Number of ingredients: 5
Average Glycemic Index Rating of Ingredients: 13
This low glycemic index diet recipe is fantastic because it is so, so simple to make. You do need a crock pot, but the process basically consists of throwing together some ingredients in a crock pot and setting it. The key for this recipe is to read the label on your marinara sauce and make sure it says “No Sugar Added”, or read the ingredients and make sure sugar is not listed. Most marinara sauces that you buy in the store are loaded with sugar, which makes them deceptively high glycemic. By using no sugar added pasta sauce, you are able to keep the recipe low-sugar and avoid spiking your insulin to higher levels. The chicken adds a lot of lean protein, and the kale is a vitamin-loaded superfood. The end result is a fantastic tasting dish that is satisfying and low glycemic.
- Package of chicken breast (like 4-8 breasts total)
- 1 chopped yellow onion
- 2 heads of kale, stem removed and chopped
- 1 head of celery, chopped
- 1-2 jars of no sugar added marinara sauce
- Put all ingredients in the crock pot (I find it easiest to put the kale in first. That way the heavier chicken breasts weigh down the kale and it all fits 🙂
- Set crockpot to low and cook 5-6 hours. Make sure chicken is thoroughly cooked. Enjoy!